The Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve marks the original site of the first European settlement in Alice Springs.
Established in 1872 to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide, it is the best preserved of the 12 stations along the Overland Telegraph Line.
Construction of the Telegraph Station began in 1871. The township of Alice Springs takes its name from the waterhole a short distance to the east of the Station buildings.
The Station operated for 60 years, and then served as a school for Aboriginal children.
The Reserve is about 4km north of Alice Springs along the Stuart Highway.