Hermannsburg is a mission station originally established by Lutherans and now an Aboriginal community.
Located 124 km south-west of Alice Springs, the Hermannsburg Mission is the most famous of all of the religious missions to Aborigines. It was established in 1877 when two Lutheran missionaries from Germany made an overland trek from Bethany in the Barossa Valley region of South Australia bringing with them livestock and equipment to set up a permanent mission. The name was taken from the town in Germany where the missionaries had trained.
The mission inevitably carried with it the cultural preconceptions of the age. Within two years a school had been established and by 1881 seven boys and one girl had been baptised.
By 1891 the missionaries had created a dictionary of the Aranda language. This translation allowed the missionaries to translate the New Testament into Aranda. (Arrentre)